The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Argyll, Marquess of (S, 1641 - 1661)
Creation: let. pat. 15 Nov 1641
Attainted: 25 May 1661
Family name: Campbell
See Duke of Argyll
Archibald [Campbell], 8th Earl of Argyll later 1st Marquess of Argyll, PC
1st son and heir of Archibald [Campbell], 7th Earl of Argyll, by his first wife Lady Agnes Douglas, 5th dau. of William [Douglas], 6th Earl of Morton
6/7 Aug 1626 his first cousin once removed Lady Margaret Douglas (b. 1610; d. 13 Mar 1677/8), 2nd dau. of William [Douglas], 7th Earl of Morton, by his wife Lady Anne Keith, 1st dau. by his first wife of George [Keith], 4th Earl Marischal
1. Lord Archibald Campbell, later 9th Earl of Argyll
2. Lord Neil Campbell of Ardmannie, Governor of Dumbarton Castle (b. c. 1630; d. Apr 1692), mar. (1) 28 Jan 1668 his half-cousin once removed Lady Vere Kerr (b. 24 Apr 1649; d. 17 Apr 1674), sister of Robert [Kerr], 1st Marquess of Lothian, and 3rd dau. of William [Kerr], 1st Earl of Lothian, by his wife Lady Anne Kerr, 1st dau. and heir of line of Robert [Kerr[, 2nd Earl of Lothian, by his wife Lady Annabella Campbell, 2nd dau. by his first wife of Archibald [Campbell], 7th Earl of Argyll, and (2) after 20 Mar 1685 Susan Menzies (mar. (2) Col Alexander Campbell of Finab and Monzie), 1st dau. of Sir Alexander Menzies of Weem, 1st Bt., and had issue by both wives
1. Lady Anne Campbell (dvp. bef. 1660)
2. Lady Jane Campbell (d. 31 Jul 1712), mar. Jan 1660/1 her half-cousin once removed Robert [Kerr], 1st Marquess of Lothian, and had issue
3. Lady Mary Campbell (b. after 1634; d. 4 Feb 1690/1), mar. (1) 22 Sep 1657 George [Sinclair], 6th Earl of Caithness, and (2) 7 Apr 1678 as his second wife John [Campbell], 1st Earl of Breadalbane and Holland, and had issue by her second husband
4. Lady Isabella Campbell (b. 20 May 1650; d. bef. 19 Oct 1663)
executed 27 May 1661
15 Nov 1641 Marquess of Argyll
(in Earldom of Argyll only) son
Privy Councillor (Scotland) 1628; an Extraordinary Lord of Session 1634; suc. his father 29 Nov 1638 as 8th Earl of Argyll; Member of Parliament for Aberdeenshire 1658-59; suc. his half-brother Sep 1645 as 2nd Lord of Kintyre; attainted and all his honours forfeited 1661
In 1663 the late marquess's elder son, Archibald Campbell, was restored to the titles and estates of the family as Lord Campbell, Lorne and Kintyre and Earl of Argyll.
Last updated 29 Apr 2009
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.