The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Wolseley, of Wolseley, co. Stafford (E Baronet, 1628)
Creation: let.pat. 24 Nov 1628
Family name: Wolseley
Argent a Talbot passant Gules
Out of a Ducal Coronet Or a Wolf's Head erased proper
Homo Homini Lupus (Man is as a wolf towards his fellow man)
2nd son of John Wolseley, of Morton, co. Stafford, by his wife Isabella Porter, dau. of John Porter, of Chillington, co. Stafford
in or before 1630 Mary Wroughton, 2nd dau. of Sir George Wroughton, of Wilcot, co. Wiltshire (by his wife Anna Gibbes, 1st dau. by his second wife of Robert Gibbes, of Honington, co. Warwick), 3rd son of Thomas Wroughton, of Broadhenton, co. Wiltshire (by his wife Anna Berwick, dau. of John Berwick, of Wilcot, co. Wiltshire), 1st son of William Wroughton, of Broadhenton, co. Wiltshire, by his second wife Elianor Lewknor, dau. of Edward Lewknor
1. Sir Charles Wolseley, 2nd Bt.
2. Robert Wolseley (d. unm.)
3. Thomas Wolseley (d. unm.)
4. Ralph Wolseley (d. unm.)
5. Brig Gen Rt Hon William Wolseley, accompanied King William III to Ireland in 1690 and commanded the Inniskillen men at the Battle of Newtown Butler and was at the Battle of the Boyne, a Privy Councillor [I], Master of the Ordnance 1692, and a Lord Justice of Ireland 1696 (d. 1697)
1. Penelope Wolseley, mar. (1) ..... Fountaine, and (2) Richard Edwards, of Oldcourt, co. Wicklow
2. Mary Wolseley (d. unm.)
3. Frances Wolseley (d. 1702), mar. John Dives, son of Sir Lewis Dives, of Bromham, co. Bedford
4. Mary Wolseley, mar. Thomas Nevill, of Holt, co. Leicester
5. Anne Wolseley, mar. Copwood Hollins, of Ditton, co. Stafford
6. Dorothy Wolseley (d. unm.)
21 Sep 1646 (bur. in Colwich church, co. Stafford)
24 Nov 1628 a Baronet of England, styled "of Wolseley, co. Stafford"
Clerk of the King's Letters Patent; a Col in the King's Army; acquired the estate of Wolseley, co. Stafford, from his distant cousin, Sir Thomas Wolseley, between 1624 and 1627; he was sequestrated by Parliament shortly after his death with a fine of £2,500
in or before 1649 Hon Anne Fiennes, 5th dau. of William [Fiennes], 1st Viscount Saye and Sele, by his wife Elizabeth Temple, 6th dau. of John Temple, of Burton Dassett, co. Warwick, and Stowe, co. Buckingham
1. Robert Wolseley, a staunch Parliamentarian and a member of Cromwell's House of Lords, sent as Envoy to Brussels by King William III (b. 1650; d. 1697)
2. Charles Wolseley (dsp.)
3. Sir William Wolseley, 3rd Bt.
4. Sir Henry Wolseley, 4th Bt.
5. Capt Richard Wolseley, acquired by purchase a portion of the estate of Charles [Butler], Earl of Arran, and seated himself at Mount Arran later called Mount Wolseley, Member of Parliament for co. Carlow 1703-13 and 1715-24 (d. 1724), mar. after 16 Jan 1688/9 Frances Burneston, dau. and hrss. of John Burneston, and had issue:
1a. Sir William Wolseley, 5th Bt.
2a. Robert Wolseley (d. 30 Jan 1733), mar. Anne Warren, dau. of Ebenezer Warren, of Lodge, co. Kilkenny, and had issue
3a. Sir Richard Wolseley, 1st Bt.
1. Elizabeth Wolseley, mar. Robert Somerville, of Edstone, co. Warwick, and had issue
2. Mary Wolseley, mar. Richard Edwards MP, of Old Court, co. Wicklow
3. Anne Wolseley, mar. John Berry, of London
4. Dorothy Wolseley
5. Bridget Wolseley
6. Penelope Wolseley (dvp. young)
7. Susan Wolseley, mar. Charles Wedgwood
8. Penelope Wolseley
9. Frances Wolseley
10. Constance Wolseley
9 Oct 1714 (bur. in Colwich church, co. Stafford)
Member of Parliament for Oxfordshire 1653, for Staffordshire 1654-55 and 1655-58, and for Stafford 1660; enjoyed favour with the Commonwealth authorities, and was one of Cromwell's "House of Lords"
s.p. 8 Jul 1728 (bur. in Colwich church, co. Stafford)
drowned in his coach following an accident while crossing a brook at Long, nr. Lichfield, co. Stafford
in or before 1740 ...... ...... (d. 1752), dau. of ..... .....
children by first wife
1. Sir William Wolseley, 6th Bt.
1. Sophia Wolseley (d. 1801), mar. William Pigott, of Doddershall, co. Buckingham (d. 26 Feb 1802), and had issue
23 Sep 1752 Anna Whitby (widow of John Whitby, of Cresswell Hall, co. Stafford; mar. (3) John Robins, of Stafford, co. Stafford, and (4) ..... Hargrave), only dau. of William Northey, of Compton Bassett, co. Wiltshire
12 May 1779
son by first wife
24 Aug 1740
2 Jul 1765 ...... Chambers, dau. of ..... Chambers, of Wimbledon, co. Surrey
1. Sir Charles Wolseley, 7th Bt.
2. Rev Robert Wolseley (dsp. 1 Sep 1815), mar. ...... Hand, dau. of Ven ..... Hand, Archdeacon of .....
3. Capt Henry Wolseley (d. 1836), mar. 2 Dec 1793 Charlotte Elizabeth Halliday (d. 1826), only dau. of Maj John Delap Halliday, of The Leasowes, co. Shropshire, by his wife Lady Jane Tollemache, 7th dau. of Lionel [Tollemache], 4th Earl of Dysart, and had issue
4. Capt William Edward Wolseley
1. Maria Wolseley, mar. Rev John Ryland, of Yoxall, co. Stafford
2. Charlotte Wolseley (b. c. 1773; d. 10 Feb 1861), mar. Gen Sir Thomas Browne KCB
3. Caroline Wolseley (d. 1833), mar. Robert Haig, of Roebuck, co. Dublin, and of Kilan, co. Cavan, and had issue
4. Cecilia Wolseley (d. 27 Nov 1857), mar. 1812 Rev Charles Prowett, Rector of Stapleford, co. Hertford, and had issue
5 Aug 1817
20 Jul 1769
13 Dec 1792 Mary Clifford (d. 16 Jul 1811), dau. of Hon Thomas Clifford, of Tixall, co. Shropshire (by his wife Hon Barbara Aston, 2nd dau. and cohrss. of James [Aston], 5th Lord Aston of Forfar), 2nd son of Hugh [Clifford], 3rd Baron Clifford of Chudleigh, by his wife Elizabeth Blount, dau. and cohrss. of Edward Blount, of Blagdon, co. Devon
children by first wife
1. ..... Wolseley (dvp.)
2. Spencer William Wolseley (b. Oct 1799; dvp. 18 Dec 1832)
1. ..... Woldeley (dvp.)
2 Jul 1812 Anne Wright (d. 24 Oct 1838)), yst. dau. of Anthony Wright, of Wealdside, co. Essex, by his wife Anne Biddulph, dau. and cohrss. in her issue of John Biddulph, of Biddulph, co. Stafford
children by second wife
3. Sir Charles Wolseley, 8th Bt.
4. Henry Wolseley (d. Aug 1843)
5. Edward Wolseley (dvp. 1829)
2. Marianne Wolseley (d. 1 Nov 1884), mar. 25 Nov 1834 Francis, Marquis de Lousada de San Miniato (d. 17 Mar 1870), and had issue
3. Caroline Wolseley (d. 23 Sep 1880), mar. 22 Aug 1845 Marmaduke Salvin DL, of Burnhall, co. Durham (d. 27 Dec 1885), and had issue
24 Oct 1838
son by second wife
6 May 1813
23 Sep 1839 Mary Anne Selby (b. c. 1817; d. 18 Jan 1873), 1st dau. of Nicholas Selby, of Acton House, co. Middlesex
1. William Henry Wolseley (dvp. 16 Jan 1852)
2. Sir Charles Michael Wolseley, 9th Bt.
3. Capt Edward Talbot Wolseley, of Maryland, Ascot, co. Surrey (b. 13 Oct 1848; d. 2 Feb 1935), mar. 23 Jan 1872 Florence Mary Weld (d. 20 Aug 1939), 3rd dau. of Edward Joseph Weld, of Lulworth Castle, co. Dorset, and had issue
4. Father Robert Joseph Wolseley, a Catholic priest (b. 21 Jun 1850; d. 24 Mar 1920)
5. Henry Oliver Wolseley (b. 1851; d. 1855)
15 May 1854
4 Jul 1846
17 Jul 1883 Anita Theresa Murphy (d. 11 Oct 1937), dau. of Daniel T Murphy, of San Francisco, California, USA
1. Sir Edric Charles Joseph Wolseley, 10th Bt.
2. Capt William Ralph Joseph Wolseley TD JP (b. 1 Jul 1877; d. 1977), mar. 10 Nov 1923 Ruth Gertrude Hargreaves (d. 7 Dec 1962), yst. dau. of Lt Col Robert Halstead Hargreaves JP DL, of Knightley Grange, co. Stafford, and Barnside, co. Lancaster, and had issue
30 Jan 1931
7 Apr 1886
19 Aug 1916 Clare Mary Annette de Trafford (b. 22 Dec 1895; d. 27 Jun 1978), 1st dau. of Charles Edmund de Trafford JP DL KM, of Hothorpe Hall, co. Leicester, High Sherriff of Leicestershire 1893 (by his wife Lady Agnes Mary Pia Feilding, 5th dau. of Rudolph William Basil [Feilding], 8th Earl of Denbigh, by his second wife Mary Berkeley, 4th dau. of Robert Berkeley, of Spetchley Park, co. Worcester), 2nd son of Sir Humphrey de Trafford, 2nd Bt., by his wife Lady Annette Talbot, sister and cohrss. of Bertram Arthur [Talbot], 17th Earl of Shrewsbury, and 1st dau. of Lt Col Charles Thomas Talbot
1. Capt Stephen Garnet Hubert Francis Wolseley, served in Royal Artillery during Worl War II 1939-44 (b. 17 May 1918; killed in action v.p. 31 Aug 1944), mar. 12 Jan 1942 Pamela Violette Barry (b. c. 1919; granted the style and precedence of the widow of a Baronet by Royal Warrant 1955; d. 16 Nov 2002), 2nd dau. of Capt F Barry, of co. Cork, and had issue:
1a. Sir Charles Garnet Richard Mark Wolseley, 11th Bt.
1a. (Mary) Patricia Anne Wolseley (b. 23 Nov 1942), mar. 24 Feb 1973 Steuart Martin Moor TD FRICS, of Park Side, 4 Cliff Road, Stamford, co. Lincoln, son of John Bernard Moor, of Little Court, Hellidon, co. Northampton, and has issue
2. Basil Charles Daniel Rudolph Wolseley, of 29 Court Road, Newent, co. Gloucester, served as F/Lt RAF during World War II (b. 16 Nov 1921), mar. 6 Oct 1950 Ruth Key Carter, 1st dau. of Col William Tom Carter OBE, of The Old Forge, West Malling, co. Kent, and has issue
3. George John Carlos Wolseley, of "Rosamunda", Fulwell Road, Finmere, co. Buckingham, served in RAF (India Command) during World War II 1943-48 and with British Aerospace (Filton) 1965-88 (b. 28 Jan 1925)
1. Frances Mary Mona Clare Wolseley (b. 19 May 1920), mar. 12 Sep 1953 Bernhard Wilmsen later Wolseley-Wilmsen (d. 1983), only son of Bernhard Wilmsen Jr, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, and has issue
2. Agnes Mary Anne Hilda Wolseley (b. 27 Mar 1923)
17 Sep 1954
16 Jun 1944
15 Jun 1968 (div. 1984) Anita Maria Fried, 1st dau. of Hugo J Fried, of Epsom, co. Surrey
children by first wife
1. Sir Stephen Garnet Hugo Charles Wolseley, 12th Bt.
1. Annabelle Clare Maria Wolseley (b. 26 Apr 1969)
2. Emily Lavinia Wolseley (b. 7 Mar 1972)
3. Lucy Margaret Wolseley (b. 7 Mar 1977)
5 May 1984 Mrs Imogene (Jeannie) E Brown
5 Mar 2018
son by second wife
2 May 1980
Mary Kate Quinlan, dau. of Anthony Quinlan, Sultanate of Oman
1. Nicholas Wolseley (b. 20...)
2. Patrick Anthony Charles Wolseley (b. 26 Jan 2014)
Last updated 11 Jun 2018
Wolseley Park, Rugeley, Staffordshire WS15 2TU
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.