The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to develop and expand Cracroft's Peerage?
Leslie, of Glaslough, Co. Monaghan (UK Baronet, 1876)
Creation: let.pat. 21 Feb 1876
Family name: Leslie
Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Argent on a Bend Azure between two Holly Leaves Vert three Buckles Or; 2nd and 3rd, Or a Lion rampant Gules debruised by a Ribbon Sable
A Griffin's Head erased Gules
Sir John Leslie, 1st Bt., JP DL
2nd son of Charles Powell JP MP, of Glaslough (formerly called Castle Leslie), co. Monaghan, by his second wife Christiana Fosbery, yst. dau. of George Fosbery, of Clorane, co. Limerick
16 Dec 1822
26 Aug 1856 Lady Constance Wilhelmina Frances, granted the style and precedence of the daughter of an Earl by Royal Warrant 1889 (d. 25 Jun 1925), sister of Lionel Seymour William [Dawson-Damer], 4th Earl of Portarlington, and 5th dau. of Col Rt Hon George Lionel Dawson later Dawson-Damer CB, of Came House, co. Dorset (by his wife Mary Georgiana Emma Seymour, 2nd dau. of Adm Lord Hugh Seymour (by his wife Lady Anne Horatio Waldegrave, 3rd dau. by his second wife of James [Waldegrave], 2nd Earl Waldegrave), 5th son of Francis [Seymour], 1st Marquess of Hertford), 3rd son of John [Dawson], 1st Earl of Portarlington, by his wife Lady Caroline Stuart, 5th dau. of John [Stuart], 3rd Earl of Bute
1. Sir John Leslie, 2nd Bt.
1. Mary Leslie (b. 30 Sep 1858; d. 18 Apr 1936), mar. 20 Jul 1893 Robert Thompson Crawshay (b. 6 Oct 1855; d. 19...), 2nd son of Robert Thompson Crawshay, of Cyfarthfa Castle, co. Glamorgan, by his wife Rose Mary Yeates, dau. of William Wilson Yeates, of Caversham Grove, co. Oxford, and had issue
2. Constance Christina Leslie (b. 23 Feb 1861; d. 30 May 1945), mar. 2 Jun 1881 Sir Edward Stanley Hope KCB, Registrar of the Privy Council 1899-1909 (b. 1 Feb 1846; d. 15 Feb 1921), 3rd son of George William Hope of Luffness MP (by his wife Hon Caroline Georgiana Montagu, 4th dau. of Henry James [Scott later Montagu], 2nd Baron Montagu of Boughton), 2nd son of General Hon Sir Alexander Hope GCB MP, Lieut-Governor of the Chelsea Hospital (by his wife Georgina Alicia Brown, dau. of George Brown), 2nd son by his second wife of John [Hope], 2nd Earl of Hopetoun, and had issue
3. Theodosia Leslie, granted the style and precedence of a Baronet's widow by Royal Warrant 1913 (b. 5 Jan 1865; d. 21 Feb 1940), mar. (1) 11 Jun 1885 Maj Josceline FitzRoy Bagot JP DL MP, of Leavens Hall, co. Westmorland (b. 22 Oct 1854; d. 1 Mar 1913), 1st son of Col Charles Bagot JP (by his wife Sophia Louisa Percy, 1st dau. of Vice-Admiral Hon Josceline Percy CB MP RN (by his wife Sophia Elizabeth Walhouse, 3rd dau. of Moreton Walhouse), 4th son of Algernon [Smithson later Percy], 1st Earl of Beverley), 1st son of Rt Hon Sir Charles Bagot GCB MP, Governor-General of Canada 1941 (by his wife Lady Mary Charlotte Anne Wellesley-Pole, 1st dau. of William [Wesley later Wellesley later Wellesley-Pole], 3rd Earl of Mornington), 2nd son of William [Bagot], 1st Baron Bagot, and (2) 3 Jun 1920 Rev Sidney Bellingham Swann, Vicar of Lindfield, co. Sussex, and had issue by her first husband
4. Olive Louisa Blanche Leslie (b. 14 Sep 1872; d. 2 Jul 1945), mar. (1) 30 Aug 1894 Walter Murray Guthrie MP, of Torosay Castle, Isle of Mull (b. 1 Jun 1969; d. 24 Apr 1911), 3rd son of James Alexander Guthrie of Craigie JP DL, by his wife Ellinor Stirling, 2nd dau. of Admiral Sir James Stirling KCB, Governor of Western Australia 1829-38, and (2) 30 Dec 1914 (div. 1920) as his second wife Lt Col John Alexander Stirling of Kippendavie DSO MC (b. 20 Sep 1881; d. 28 Nov 1957), 1st son and heir of Lt Col Patrick Stirling of Kippendavie JP DL, by his wife Margaret Mary Leith, 1st dau. of Rear-Admiral John James Leith, and had issue by her first husband
23 Jan 1916
21 Feb 1876 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Glaslough, Co. Monaghan"
Member of Parliament for Co. Monaghan 1871-80; Capt, 1st Regiment of Life Guards
Sir John Leslie, 2nd Bt., CBE
7 Aug 1857
2 Oct 1884 Leonie Blanche Jerome DGStJ (d. 21 Aug 1943), sister of Lady Randolph Churchill and dau. of Leonard Jerome, of New York, USA
1. Sir (John Randolph) Shane Leslie, 3rd Bt.
2. Capt Norman Jerome Beauchamp Leslie (b. 20 Nov 1886; killed in action vp. 18 Oct 1914)
3. Seymour William Leslie, author, Secretary of Queen Charlotte's Hospital (b. 30 Sep 1889; d. 21 Jul 1979), mar. 9 Oct 1929 Gwyneth Rawdon Roden, dau. of Rawdon Roden, of Knaresborough, co. York, and had issue
4. Capt Lionel Alistair David Leslie, sculptor explorer and author (b. 27 Jun 1900; d. 1987), mar. 12 Jan 1942 Barbara Yvonne Enever, dau. of Edwin Alexander Enever, and had issue
25 Jan 1944
served in the Egyptian Campaign 1882, the Boer War 1900, and World War I 1914-18; High Sheriff of Co. Monaghan 1905; CBE 1919; Lord Lieutenant of Co. Monaghan 1921-22
Sir (John Randolph) Shane Leslie, 3rd Bt.
24 Sep 1885
11 Jun 1912 Marjorie Ide (d. 8 Feb 1951), dau. of Hon Henry C Ide, of Vermont, USA, Governor-General of the Philippine Islands, US Minister in Spain
children by first wife
1. Sir John Norman Ide Leslie, 4th Bt.
2. Desmond Arthur Peter Leslie, author, served in World War II as F/Sgt (Pilot) RAF (b. 29 Jun 1921; d. 20 Mar 2001), mar. 18 Aug 1945 (div.) Agnes (Aggie) Elizabeth Bernauer, only dau. of Rudolf Bernauer, producer and playwright, of Budapest, Hungary, and had issue:
1a. Shaun Rudolph Christopher Leslie, de jure 5th Baronet
2a. (Christopher) Mark Leslie, heir presumptive to the Baronetcy (b. 7 Dec 1952), mar. 1982 Cliona Manahan, and has issue:
1a. Luke Daniel Leslie (b. 1987)
1a. Leah Leslie (b. 1992)
1a. Antonia Kelvey Oriel Leslie (b. 1 Nov 1963), mar. 7 Jul 1995 Colm Nolan, son of Padraig Nolan, of Dublin, by his wife Anne .....
1. Anne (Anita) Theodosia Moira Leslie, author, served in World War II 1944-45 as ambulance driver with 1st Armoured Division French Army (b. 21 Nov 1914), mar. (1) 29 Apr 1937 (annulled 1948) Col Paul Rodzianko CMG (d. 16 Apr 1965), son of Gen Paul Rodzianko by his wife Princess Marie Galitzine, and (2) 1 Jan 1949 Cdr William Donald Aelian King DSO DSC RN, only son of Lt Col William Albert de Courcy King DSO, and had issue by her second husband
30 May 1958 Iris Carola Frazer (widow of Capt Donald Alexander Frazer; d. 1994), yst. dau. of Charles Miskin Laing, barrister, of Bury Knowle, Headington, co. Oxford
13 Aug 1971
son by first wife
author of nearly 40 books; KCSG
Sir John Norman Ide Leslie, 4th Bt.
6 Dec 1916
18 Apr 2016
served in World War II as Capt, Irish Guards; Knight of Honour and Devotion, SMOM; KCSG
Shaun Rudolph Christopher Leslie, de jure 5th Bt.
4 Jun 1947
1987 (div. 1989) Charlotte Bing
awaiting proof of succession
The heir presumptive to the Baronetcy is (Christopher) Mark Leslie, second son of the 4th Baronet and younger brother of the present claimant to the Baronetcy. Mr Shaun Leslie is also the presumed heir to the Baronetcy of Leslie of Wardis (cr. Nova Scotia, 1 Sep 1625).
Last updated 31 May 2016
Glaslough, Co. Monaghan, Ireland
Badia di St Sebastiano di Alatri, Alatri, Frosinone, Italy
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.