The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Gower, Baron (E, 1702/3)
Creation: let. pat. 16 May 1702/3
Family name: Leveson-Gower
See Duke of Sutherland
John [Leveson-Gower], 1st Baron Gower, PC
1st son and heir of Sir William Gower later Leveson-Gower, 4th Bt., of Sittenham, co. York, by his wife Lady Jane Granville, 1st dau. and cohrss. in her issue of John [Granville], 1st Earl of Bath
7 Jan 1674/5
Sep 1692 Lady Catherine Manners (d. 7 Mar 1722/3, 1st dau. of John [Manners], 1st Duke of Rutland, by his third wife Hon Catherine Noel, 1st dau. by his fourth wife of Baptist [Noel], 3rd Viscount Campden
1. Hon John Leveson-Gower, later 2nd Baron Gower later 1st Earl Gower
2. Hon William Leveson-Gower, Member of Parliament for Staffordshire 1720-56 (d. 13 Dec 1756), mar. 26 May 1730 Anne Grosvenor, only dau. of Sir Thomas Grosvenor, 3rd Bt., of Eaton Hall, co. Chester, by his wife Mary Davies, only dau. and hrss. of Alexander Davies, of Ebury, co. Middlesex, and had issue
3. Hon Thomas Leveson-Gower, Member of Parliament for Newcastle-under-Lyme 1722 (d. 12 Aug 1727)
4. Hon Baptist Leveson-Gower, Member of Parliament for Newcastle-under-Lyme 1727 (d. 4 Aug 1782)
1. Hon Jane Leveson-Gower (d. 10 Jun 1726), mar. 5 Jan 1719/20 John Proby MP, of Elton Hall, co. Huntingdon (d. 16 Mar 1762), 1st son and heir of William Proby, of Elton, co. Huntingdon, Governor of Fort St George, Madras, and had issue
31 Aug 1709
16 May 1702/3 Baron Gower, of Sittenham in the County of York
suc. his father 22 Dec 1691 as 5th Baronet of Sittenham; Member of Parliament for Newcastle-under-Lyne 1692-1703; Privy Councillor 1702-07; Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster 1702-06; a Commissioner of the Union 1706
John [Leveson-Gower], 2nd Baron Gower later 1st Earl Gower
8 Jul 1746 Viscount Trentham and Earl Gower
The Barony of Gower has been held by the Earls Gower since 8 Jul 1746.
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.