The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Craigavon, Viscount (UK, 1927)
Creation: let. pat. 20 Jan 1927
Family name: Craig
Gules a Fess Ermine between three Bridges of as many arches proper
A Demi-Lion rampant per fess Gules and Sable holding in the dexter paw a Mullet Or
Dexter: a Constable of the Ulster Special Constabulary his hand resting on a Rifle proper; Sinister: a Private of the Royal Ulster Rifles armed and accoutred also proper
Charity Provokes Charity
James [Craig], 1st Viscount Craigavon, JP DL PC
6th son of James Craig JP, of Craigavon and Tyrella, co. Down, by his wife Eleanor Gilmour Brown, dau. of Robert Brown
8 Jan 1871
22 Mar 1905 Dame Cecil Mary Nowell Dering Tupper DBE CStJ (d. 17 Mar 1960), only child of Sir Daniel Alfred Anley Tupper MVO, Assistant Comproller in the Lord Chamberlain's Department and Serjeant-at-Arms
1. Hon James Craig, later 2nd Viscount Craigavon
2. Hon (Patrick William) Dennis Craig MBE, served in World War II 1939-45 as Maj and Deputy Assistant Military Secretary to Commander-in-Chief, Middle East Force (b. 2 Mar 1906; d. 15 Aug 1972), mar. (1) 1931 (div. 1933) Aline Margaret Mary McClaren Cumming, dau. of J Cumming, and (2) 21 Mar 1947 as her second husband Marjorie Joy Vinogradov (former wife of Igor Vinogradov, of 10 Gower Street, London WC1; d. 22 Aug 1974), dau. of Algernon Cecil Newton, and had issue by his first wife:
1a. Deirdre Craig (b. 4 Dec 1931), mar. (1) 9 Jul 1951 (div. 1959) Jonathan Craven, only son of Maj Alfred Eric Lawrence Craven JP, of Ringwell House, Ditcheat, co. Somerset, (2) 27 Apr 1959 Cyril Vernon Connolly CBE (d. 26 Nov 1974), son of Maj Matthew William Kemble Connolly, of The Lock House, Deepcut, co. Surrey, by his wife Muriel Maud Vernon, dau. of Col Edward Vernon JP DL, of Clontarf Castle, Dublin, and (3) 1977 Peter Chad Tigar Levi, of Austin's Farm, Stonesfield, Oxford, Professor of Poetry at Oxford University 1984-89, and has issue by her first and second husbands
1. Hon Ellinor Aileen Cecil Craig (b. 20 Aug 1907; d. 23 Apr 1978), mar. 1929 (div. 1946) Cdre Robert Gordon Hood Linzee CB CBE RN, only son of Alexander Grosvenor Linzee, and had issue
24 Nov 1940
5 Feb 1918 Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Stormont, Co. Down"
20 Jan 1927 Viscount Craigavon, of Stormont in the County of Down
served in the Boer War 1900-02; Member of Parliament for East Down 1906-18, Mid-Down 1918-21 and Co. Down 1921-40; Treasurer of the Household 1916-19; Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Pensions 1919-20; Financial Secretary to the Admiralty 1920-21; first Prime Minister of Northern Ireland 1921-40; Privy Councillor (I) 1921 and (NI) 1922; KStJ
James [Craig], 2nd Viscount Craigavon
2 Mar 1906
22 Nov 1939 (Angela) Fiona Tatchell (b. c. 1918; d. 6 Nov 2007), 2nd dau. of Dr Percy Tatchell, of Barkston Gardens, South Kensington, London
1. Hon Janric Fraser Craig, later 3rd Viscount Craigavon
1. Hon Janitha Stormont Craig (b. 31 Aug 1940), mar. 1965 Gordon Robert MacInnes, 1st son of Robert Wood MacInnes, of Ruislip, co. Middlesex, and has issue
2. Hon Jacaranda Fiona Craig (b. 8 Jan 1949), mar. 1972 (div. 1983) Dudley Francis Macdonald, of 26 Paroman Towers, George Street, London W1, and has issue
18 May 1974
served in World War II 1939-45 as Lt-Cdr (Submarines) RNVR
Janric Fraser [Craig], 3rd Viscount Craigavon
9 Jun 1944
elected to the House of Lords 1999
There is no heir to the Viscountcy of Craigavon.
Last updated 1 Dec 2013
3rd Viscount Craigavon, of Stormont in the County of Down
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 20 Jan 1927)
3rd Baronet, styled "of Stormont, co. Down"
(United Kingdom, let. pat. 5 Feb 1918)
1 Little Smith Street, London SW1P 3DQ
Tel: 020 7222 1949
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.