The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Brownrigg (UK Baronet, 1816)
Creation: let.pat. 9 Mar 1816
Family name: Brownrigg
Argent a Lion rampant guardant Sable grasping in the dexter paw a Sword Pommel and Hilt Or thereon a Serpent entwined proper between three Crescents Gules, and as an honourable augmentation (granted by King George IV on 23 Mar 1822) a Chief embattled Vert thereon a representation of the Sceptre of the King of Kandy Or and the Banner of the said king being Gules within a Bordure with a Ray of the Sun issuing from each angle a Lion passant Gold holding a Sword proper in saltire the whole ensigned with a representation of the Crown of the kingdom of Kandy also proper
1st (of honourable augmentation), A Demi-Kandian proper the body vested Argent and belted Or Cap Gold in the dexter hand a Sword and in the sinister a representation of the Kandian Crown also proper; 2nd, A Mural Crown Or thereon a Sword erect entwined by a Serpent Vert
Virescat Vulnere Virtus (Valour strengthens from a wound)
1st son and heir of Henry Brownrigg, of Rockingham, co. Wicklow, by his wife Mary Alcock, dau. of Michael Alcock, of Norwich, co. Norfolk
General Sir Robert Brownrigg, 1st Bt., GCB
8 Feb 1758
8 Apr 1783 Elizabeth Catherine Lewis (d. 14 Apr 1804), 5th dau. of William Lewis, of Cornwall, Jamaica
children by first wife
1. Lt Col Robert James Brownrigg (b. 23 Dec 1790; dvp. 10 May 1822), mar. 9 Jul 1816 Emma Nisbet, dau. of Maj Gen Colebrooke Nisbet, and had issue:
1a. Sir Robert William Colebrook Brownrigg, 2nd Bt.
2a. Sir Henry Moore Brownrigg, 3rd Bt.
1. Katherine Brownrigg (d. 1 Aug 1834), mar. 2 Oct 1811 Maj Gen Sir John Ross KCB
27 Jun 1818 Sophia Bissett (d. 25 Apr 1837), dau. of Rev Alexander Bissett DD
27 May 1833
Col, 9th Foot; Governor of Landguard Fort; Governor of Ceylon 1812
Sir Robert William Colebrook Brownrigg, 2nd Bt.
29 Jul 1817
6 Aug 1882
Sir Henry Moore Brownrigg, 3rd Bt.
17 Oct 1819
12 Feb 1863 Ada Cicely Georgina Stone (d. 17 Feb 1911), widow of George Stone, of Blisworth, co. Northampton, and 1st dau. of Sir John Hesketh Lethbridge, 3rd Bt., of Sandhill Park, by his second wife Julia Hoare, 2nd dau. of Sir Henry Hugh Hoare, 3rd Bt., of Barn Elms
1. Henry Ernest Brownrigg (b. 28 Aug 1863; dvp. 20 Oct 1882
2. Rear-Admiral Sir Douglas Egremont Robert Brownrigg, 4th Bt., CB RN
1. Ada Brownrigg (d. 26 Oct 1931), mar. 14 Jan 1892 M Drury Lavin, of Heatherden, co. Buckingham (d. 24 Nov 1902), and had issue
2. Beatrice Evans Brownrigg (d. 15 May 1927), mar. 18 Mar 1885 Charles Evan Davies Morgan-Richardson, of Morgenau, Roshil, co. Pembroke (d. 27 Sep 1913), and had issue
28 Jan 1900
Rear-Admiral Sir Douglas Egremont Robert Brownrigg, 4th Bt., CB RN
25 Jul 1867
18 Nov 1896 Beatrice Clementi Smith (b. c. 1872; d. 17 Jan 1952), only dau. of Rt Hon Sir Cecil Clementi Smith GCMG, Governor of the Straits Settlements 1887-93 and Lieut-Governor of Ceylon (by his wife Teresa Alice Newcomen), son of Rev John Smith by his wife Cecilia Susanna Clementi, dau. of the composer Muzio Clementi by his third wife Emma Gisborne
1. Robert Cecil Brownrigg (b. 8 Aug 1903; dvp. 19 Jan 1907)
2. Gawen Egremont Brownrigg (b. 15 Jan 1911; dvp. 8 Aug 1938), mar. 10 Sep 1931 (div. 1936) Baroness Lucia von Borosini (mar. (2) 1936 (div. 1941) John Bunham, (3) 1941 (div. 1957) Cdr Edmund Lyford Engel USNR, and (4) 19... Harry Albert Batten; d. 1966), only dau. of Baron Victor von Borosini, and had issue:
1a. Sir Nicholas Gawen Brownrigg, 5th Bt.
1. Juliet Teresa Brownrigg (b. 9 Apr 1908; d. 30 Jan 1947), mar. (1) 12 Nov 1929 (div. 1936) Kenneth George Lampson (b. 4 Jul 1945; d. 27 Sep 1984), 2nd son of Alfred Curtis van Gelderen later Lampson (by his wife Gertrude Mary Howden, dau. of John Howden, of The Strand, London), 1st illegit. son of Sir George Curtis Lampson, 2nd Bt., by his mistress and later 2nd wife Sophia van Gelderen, and (2) 24 Oct 1936 Sydney Victor Hine, only son of Victor Hine
14 Feb 1939
Naval Attaché in Tokyo 1910-12; Chief Naval Censor Admiralty 1914-18
Sir Nicholas Gawen Brownrigg, 5th Bt.
22 Dec 1932
4 Apr 1959 (div. 1985) Linda Louise Lovelace, dau. of Jonathan B Lovelace, of Beverley Hills, California, USA
children by first wife
1. Sir Michael Gawen Brownrigg, 6th Bt.
1. Sylvia Alderyn Brownrigg (b. 16 Dec 1964)
1971 Valerie Ann Arden, dau. of Julian A Arden, of Livonia, Michigan, USA
28 Sep 2018
son by first wife
served in USNR 1953-55; with Chase-Manhattan Bank, New York 1957-59
Sir Michael Gawen Brownrigg, 6th Bt.
11 Oct 1961
19... Dr Margaret Dillon Burchell, dau. of Dr Clay Burchell
1. Nicholas James Brownrigg (b. 7 Jul 1993)
in US Foreign Service since 1985
Last updated 3 Jul 2019
[Address not known]
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.