The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Bowen, of Colworth, co. Bedford (UK Baronet, 1921)
Creation: let.pat. 10 Jan 1921
Family name: Bowen
Azure a Lion rampant within an Orle all within four Roses Or and as many Bezants alternately
A Lion sejant proper holding in the dexter paw a Bowen Knot Argent
Audaces Fortuna Juvat (Fortune favours the brave)
Sir Albert Edward Bowen, 1st Bt., JP
son of Edward Bowen, of Hanley, co. Stafford, by his wife Clarissa Hackwood, dau. of Thomas Hackwood
1 Nov 1858
24 Apr 1884 Alice Anita Crowther (d. 21 Nov 1943), dau. of Frederick Crowther, of Buenos Aires, Argentina
1. Sir Edward Crowther Bowen, 2nd Bt.
2. Harold Cedric Bowen (b. 4 Nov 1896; d. 1959), mar. 20 Aug 1921 Vera Polianov (d. 1967), dau. of Aleander Polianov, of Kharkov, Russia, and had issue
1. Winifred Ada Bowen (d. 11 Aug 1956), mar. 1 Oct 1910 Gen Sir Alexander Stanhope Cobbe VC GCB KCSI DSO (b. 6 Jun 1870; d. 29 Jun 1931), 2nd son of Lt Gen Sir Alexander Hugh Cobbe KCB (by his wife Emily Barbara Jones, dau. of Capt G Stanhope Jones), son of Col Thomas Cobbe (by his wife Nuzzeer Begum Khan, dau. of Azeeze Khan), son of Charles Cobbe (by his wife Anne Power Trench, dau. of Col Richard Trench MP), son of Col Thomas Cobbe MP, of Newbridge, by his wife Lady Eliza Beresford, 6th dau. of Marcus [Beresford], 1st Earl of Tyrone, and had issue
2. Gertrude Dorothy Bowen (d. 15 Nov 1958), mar. 14 Oct 1911 (div. 1925) Sir Kinahan Cornwallis GCMG CBE DSO (b. 1883; d. 3 Jun 1959), and had issue
3. Evelyn Constance Bowen (d. 25 Feb 1959), mar. 29 Jul 1911 John Dale Read (d. 19 Mar 1940), son of John Jervis Read, of High House, brentwood, co. Essex, and had issue
19 Sep 1924
10 Jan 1921 a Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Colworth, co. Bedford"
President, Buenos Aires Great Southen Railway Company
Maj Sir Edward Crowther Bowen, 2nd Bt., MC
11 Mar 1885
2 Jun 1910 May Isobel Roberts (d. 9 Mar 1972), dau. of John Frederick Roberts, of Buenos Aires, Argentina
1. Sir John Edward Mortimer Bowen, 3rd Bt.
2. Sir Thomas Frederick Charles Bowen, 4th Bt.
1. Angela Betty Isobel Bowen, mar. (1) 1 Jun 1933 (div. 1944) Capt Ivan Francis Low, 1st son of Maj Henry Francis Low, and (2) ..... Farris, and has issue by her first husband
31 Oct 1937
served in World War I 1914-18 as Major, 12th Lances formerly Inniskilling Dragoons
Sir John Edward Mortimer Bowen, 3rd Bt.
2 Jun 1918
12 Aug 1939 (killed while motor-racing)
Capt Sir Thomas Frederic Charles Bowen, 4th Bt.
11 Oct 1921
30 Aug 1947 Jill Claude Murray Evans (d. 25 Oct 1999), dau. of Cyril Lloyd Evans, of Prestea, Ghana
1. Sir Mark Edward Mortimer Bowen, 5th Bt.
1. Julia Rosemary Bowen (b. 10 Jul 1950), mar. 1970 (div. 1983) Lt Cdr Robert Andrew Fewings RN, and has issue
2. Margot Claire Bowen (b. 30 Mar 1952), mar. 1974 Malcolm Ivison Kirkpatrick, of 70 Netherby Park, Weybridge, co. Surrey, and has issue
3. ..... Bowen (b. and dvp. 13 Jan 1954)
Capt, Wiltshire Regiment
Sir Mark Edward Mortimer Bowen, 5th Bt.
17 Oct 1958
1983 Kerry Tessa Moriarty, dau. of Michael John Moriarty, of The Grey House, Links Road, Worthing, co. Sussex
1. George Edward Michael Bowen, de jure 6th Bt.
1. Grace Francesca Bowen (b. 3 Mar 1989)
27 Feb 2014
Sir George Edward Michael Bowen, 6th Bt.
17 Dec 1987
Their is no heir to the Baronetcy of Bowen, styled "of Colworth, co. Bedford"
Last updated 21 Jul 2014
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.