The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Abdy, of Albins, Essex (UK Baronet, 1850)
Creation: let.pat. 8 Jan 1850
Family name: Abdy
Or two Chevronnels between three Trefoils slipped Sable
An Eagle's Head couped proper beaked Azure
Tenax et Fidelis (Tenacious and faithful)
Sir Thomas Neville Abdy, 1st Bt. MP DL
only son of Capt Anthony Abdy RN (by his wife Grace Rich, illegitimate dau. of Admiral Sir Thomas rich, 5th Bt, of Sonning, co. Sussex), 2nd son of Rev Thomas Abdy Rutherforth later Abdy (by his wife Mary Hayes, dau. of James Hayes, of Holyport, co. Berkshire), only son of Dr Thomas Rutherforth DD, Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University, by his wife Charlotte Elizabeth Abdy, only dau. of Sir William Abdy, 4th Bt., of Chobham Place, co. Surrey
21 Dec 1810
19 Oct 1841 Hariot Alston (d. 8 Jul 1877), 2nd dau. of Rowland Alston, of Pishiobury, co. Hertford
1. Sir William Neville Abdy, 2nd Bt.
2. Capt Sir Anthony Charles Sykes Abdy, 3rd Bt.
3. Robert John Abdy (bapt. 12 Dec 1850; d. bef. 1921)
4. Sir Henry Beadon Abdy, 4th Bt.
1. Grace Emma Townshend Abdy (bapt. 6 Jul 1846; d. Dec 1923), mar. 19 Mar 1872 Capt Lord Albert Sutherland-Leveson-Gower (b. 21 Nov 1843; d. 23 Dec 1874), 3rd son of George Granville [Leveson-Gower later Sutherland-Leveson-Gower], 2nd Duke of Sutherland, by his wife Lady Harriett Elizabeth Georgiana Howard, 3rd dau. of George [Howard], 6th Earl of Carlisle, and had issue
20 Jul 1877
8 Jan 1850 Baronet of the United Kingdom, styled "of Albins, Essex"
Member of Parliament for Lyme Regis 1847-52; High Sheriff of Essex 1875
Sir William Neville Abdy, 2nd Bt.
18 Jun 1844
10 Jul 1883 Marie Theresa Petritzka, of Prague, Poland (d. 17 Sep 1902)
6 Dec 1902 (div. 1905) Eliza Sarah Beech, dau. of Oscar William Beech
16 Feb 1909 Florence Robinson (widow of Gen George Palmer Robinson (mar. (3) 7 Jan 1913 Maurice Grant, of Slings, Malton, co. York; d. 3 Feb 1922), dau. of Lehmann Louis Cohn
s.p. 9 Aug 1910
High Sheriff of Essex 1884
Capt Sir Anthony Charles Sykes Abdy, 3rd Bt.
19 Sep 1848
11 Nov 1886 Hon Alexandrina Victoria Macdonald (d. 4 Mar 1953), 4th dau. of Godfrey William Wentworth [Bosville-Macdonald], 4th Baron Macdonald, by his wife Maria Anne Wyndham, 1st dau. and cohrss. of George Thomas Wyndham, of Cromer Hall, co. Norfolk
1. Grace Lilian Abdy (b. 22 Sep 1887; d. 1983), mar. 6 Dec 1917 as his second wife Henry Cavendish [Butler], 8th Earl of Lanesborough, and had issue
2. Violet Abdy (b. 4 Jan 1892; d. 22 Aug 1957), mar. 5 Jan 1925 Hugh Godsal (d. 11 May 1936), 1st son of Edward Hugh Godsal, of Ruscombe Down, Twyford, and had issue
3. Constance Mary Abdy (b. 4 Jun 1895), mar. 1 Nov 1941 Harold Frederic Andorsen OBE, barrister, only son of Harold Andorsen
s.p.m. 17 May 1921
served in the Egyptian Campaign 1882; Military Attaché at Vienna 1885
Sir Henry Beadon Abdy, 4th Bt.
13 Jul 1853
22 Mar 1891 Anna Adele Coronna (d. 21 Mar 1920)
1. William Neville Abdy (b. 10 Feb 1895; dvp. 4 Nov 1911)
2. Sir Robert Henry Edward Abdy, 5th Bt.
1. Gladys Erica Abdy (b. 23 May 1892), mar. 3 Jul 1919 Col Patrick Campbell Anderson DSO MC (d. 12 Feb 1965), son of Duncan Sinclair Anderson
1 Dec 1921
Sir Robert Henry Edward Abdy, 5th Bt.
11 Sep 1896
23 Jun 1923 (div. 1928) Iya Jongeyans (former wife of Gerrit Jongeyans; d. Jan 1993), dau. of George De Gay, of St Petersburg, Russia
10 Feb 1930 (div. 1962) Lady (Helen) Diana Bridgeman (b. 22 Jun 1907; d. 7 May 1967), 1st dau. of Orlando [Bridgeman], 5th Earl of Bradford, by his wife Hon Margaret Cecilia Bruce, 1st dau. of Henry Campbell [Bruce], 2nd Baron Aberdare
only child by second wife
1. Sir Valentine Robert Duff Abdy, 6th Bt.
5 Sep 1962 (div. 1973) Jane Noble, dau. of Dr John Noble
16 Nov 1976
son by second wife
served in World War I 1915-18 as Lt, 15th/19th King's Hussars
Sir Valentine Robert Duff Abdy, 6th Bt.
11 Sep 1937
1971 (div. 1982) Mathilde Marie Alexe Christianne Coche de la Ferté (mar. (2) Edouard Etienne Alphonse de Rothschild), dau. of Etienne Coche de la Ferté
1. Sir Robert Etienne Eric Abdy, 7th Bt.
27 Jun 2012
Smithsonian Institute, Washington DC: European Representative 1983-95 and 1998 to date, and Member of National Board 1995-98; Administrator, Musée des Arts Decoratifs, Paris; Special Adviser, UNESCO International Fund for the Promotion of Culture 1991 to date; Member, Scientific Committee, Conservatoire National des Arts et Metiers since 1992
Sir Robert Etienne Eric Abdy, 7th Bt.
22 Feb 1978
There is no heir to the Baronetcy of Abdy.
Last updated 12 Jul 2012
Hadsley House, Lefebvre Street, St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands
11 avenue de Bretigny, Garches 92380, France
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.