The Complete Guide to the British Peerage & Baronetage
If you have found this page useful, why not make a donation to The Peerage Research Trust so that we can continue to maintain and develop Cracroft's Peerage?
Abdy of Felix Hall, Essex (E Baronet, 1641 - 1868)
Creation: let.pat. 14 Jul 1641
Extinct: 16 Apr 1868
Family name: Abdy
See Abdy, of Albins, Essex
Sir Thomas Abdy, 1st Bt.
1st son and heir of Alderman Anthony Abdy, of St Andrew Undershaft, London, Sheriff of London 1630-31, Director and Deputy Governor of the Honourable East India Company, by his wife Abigail Campbell, dau. of Sir Thomas Campbell, Lord Mayor of London 1609-10
18 May 1612
1 Feb 1637/8 Mary Corsellis (d. 6 Apr 1645; bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex), 9th dau. and cohrss. of Lucas Corsellis, of London, merchant
children by first wife
1. James Abdy (bapt. 1 Jan 1638/9; d. young)
1. Rachel Abdy (bapt. 25 May 1640), mar. after 20 Jun 1679 Philip Gurdon, of Assington, co. Suffolk
2. Abigail, mar. Sir Mark Guyon
16 Jan 1646/7 Anne Soame (d. 19 Jun 1679; bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex), 1st dau. and cohrss. of Alderman Sir Thomas Soame, of Throcking, co. Hertford, Sheriff of London 1635-36, by his wife Joane Freeman, dau. of William Freeman, of Aspeden, co. Hertford
children by second wife
2. Sir Anthony Abdy, 2nd Bt.
3. Thomas Abdy (dsp. 1697)
4. William Abdy (dsp. 1682)
3. Joanna Abdy (bapt. 28 Jun 1654; dsp. 1710)
4. Alice Abdy (bapt. 30 Jun 1661), mar. William Stane, of Follyetts Hall, co. Essex
5. Anne Abdy (dsp. 1682)
6. Mary Abdy, mar. Wentworth Garneys, of Boyland Hall, co. Norfolk
7. Judith Abdy (d. young)
8. Sarah Abdy (d. young)
14 Jan 1685/6 (bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex)
14 Jul 1641 Baronet of England, styled "of Felix Hall, Essex"
son by second wife
admitted to Lincoln's Inn 1631/2; knighted 1641
Sir Anthony Abdy, 2nd Bt.
4 Jul 1655
9 Jun 1682 Mary Milward (b. c. 1658; d. 18 Aug 1744; bur. at Chobham, co. Surrey), only dau. and hrss. of Rev Richard Milward DD, Rector of Great Braxted, co. Essex, and Canon of Windsor, by his wife Mary Thomas, dau. of Sir Anthony Thomas, of Chobham, co. Surrey, aunt and hrss. of Gainsford Thomas, of Chobham, co. Surrey
1. Thomas Abdy (d. young)
2. Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 3rd Bt.
3. Sir William Abdy, 4th Bt.
4. Charles Abdy (bapt. 27 May 1693)
5. Richard Abdy (bapt. 21 Sep 1694)
1. Joanna Abdy (bapt. 12 Aug 1686; d. 1 Oct 1765)
2. Elizabeth Abdy (bapt. 30 Sep 1687)
3. Rachel Abdy (bapt. 22 Jan 1690)
4. Alice Abdy (bapt. 8 Sep 1695)
5. Margaret Abdy (bapt. 7 Jan 1696; d. 7 Oct 1779)
6. Martha Abdy (bapt. 15 Jan 1700; d. 31 Jan 1780)
7. Mary Abdy
2 Apr 1704 (bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex)
Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 3rd Bt.
5 Oct 1688
Mary Gifford (dsp. 1718), dau. and sole hrss. of Hope Gifford, of Colchester, co. Essex
1720 Charlotte Barnardiston (dspm. 17 Feb 1731), 3rd dau. and cohrss. of Sir Thomas Barnardiston, 3rd Bt., of Ketton, co. Suffolk, by his wife Anne Rothwell, dau. and cohrss. of Sir Richard Rothwell, 1st Bt.
children by second wife
1. Charlotte Maria Abdy, heiress of Felix Hall, Kelvedon, co. Essex (bapt. 11 Jun 1723), mar. John Williams, of Tendring Hall, co. Suffolk
2. Elizabeth Abdy, mar. Thomas Reeves
Anne Williams (dsp. 21 Sep 1745; bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex), dau. and hrss. of Thomas Williams, of Tendring Hall, co. Suffolk, by his wife Elizabeth Barnardiston, dau. of Sir Thomas Barnardiston, 1st Bt., of Ketton, co. Suffolk
s.p.m. 11 Jun 1733 (bur. at Kelvedon, co. Essex)
Sir William Abdy, 4th Bt.
1 Sep 1689
after 13 May 1714 Mary Stotherd (d. 6 Apr 1743), only dau. and hrss. of Philip Stotherd, of Terling, co. Essex
1. Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 5th Bt.
2. Ven Stotherd Abdy, Archdeacon of Essex 1771-73 and Prebendary of St Paul's 1771 (b. c. 1728; dsp. 5 Apr 1773), mar. (1) after 14 Mar 1752 his third cousin Theodosia Abdy (dsp. 1758), 2nd dau. of Sir Robert Abdy, 3rd Bt., of Albyns, co. Essex, by his wife Theodosia Bramston, dau. and hrss. of Dr George Bramston, and (2) after 31 Jul 1759 Harriot Altham, dau. of Peyton Altham, of Mark Hall, co. Essex
3. Capt Sir William Abdy, 6th Bt., RN
1. Charlotte Elizabeth Abdy, mar. 11 Apr 1752 Dr Thomas Rutherforth DD, Regius Professor of Divinity at Cambridge University (d. 5 Oct 1771), and had issue:
1a. Rev Thomas Abdy Rutherforth later Abdy, inherited the Felix Hall, co. Essex, estates of his uncle, Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 5th Bt., in 1775 and the Albyns, co. Essex, estates of his kinsman, Sir John Abdy, 4th Bt., in 1759 (b. 5 Dec 1755; d. 14 Oct 1798), mar. 13 Jan 1778 Mary Hayes (d. 8 Dec 1820), dau. of James Hayes, of Holyport, co. Berkshire, and had issue:
1b. John Rutherforth Abdy, of Albyns, co. Essex, High Sheriff of Essex 1809 (b. c. 1779; dsp. 1 Apr 1840), mar. 17 Jul 1800 Caroline Elizabeth Hatch (d. 5 May 1838), 1st dau. of James Hatch, of Clayberry Hall, co. Essex
2b. Capt Anthony Abdy RN (d. 9 Jun 1838), mar. 1808 Grace Rich, illegitimate dau. of Admiral Sir Thomas Rich, 5th Bt., of Sonning, co. Sussex, and had issue:
1c. Sir Thomas Neville Abdy, 1st Bt.
3b. Rev Charles Boyd Abdy, Rector of Theydon Garnon 1812-43 (d. 20 Aug 1843)
4b. Lt Col James Nicholas Abdy (d. 1855), mar. Georgina Charlotte King, dau. of Thomas King, of Eltham, co. Kent, and had issue
5b. Edward Strutt Abdy (b. c. 1790; d. 12 Oct 1846)
1b. Charlotte Anne Abdy (d. unm.)
2b. Maria Henrietta Abdy, mar. James Sykes, of Arundel Street, London
3b. Margaret Abdy (d. young)
4b. Mary Abdy, mar. Rev James Williams, of Matherne, co. Monmouth
5b. Caroline Abdy, mar. Henry Middleton, of Wanborough, co. Wiltshire
18 Jan 1749/50
Sir Anthony Thomas Abdy, 5th Bt., KC
13 Aug 1747 Catherine Hamilton (d. 1792), dau. and cohrss. of William Hamilton, of Chancery Lane, London
s.p. 7 Apr 1775
barrister 1744; suc. in 1759 to the estate of Albyns, in Stapleford Abbots, co. Essex, under the will of Sir John Abdy, 4th and last Bt., of Albyns, etc.; Member of Parliament for Knaresborough 1763-75; King's Counsel 1765
Capt Sir William Abdy, 6th Bt., RN
4 Jan 1776 Mary Brebner-Gordon (d. 4 Mar 1829), aunt and hrss. in her issue James Adam Gordon, of Knockespock, co. Aberdeen, Naish House in Wraxall, co. Somerset, and Stocks in Aldbury, co. Hertford, and dau. of James Brebner later Brebner-Gordon, of Moore Place, co. Hertford, by his wife Ann Lavington
1. Capt Sir William Abdy, 7th Bt., RN
1. Catherine Mary Abdy (bapt. 27 Dec 1776), mar. Capt Thomas Fellowes RN
2. Charlotte Anne Abdy (bapt. 27 Mar 1783), mar. 1 Dec 1808 Charles Caldwell
3. Harriet Abdy (bapt. 20 Jul 1786), mar. 4 Dec 1817) George Caldwell
21 Jul 1803 (bur. at Chobham, co. Surrey)
Capt Sir William Abdy, 7th Bt., RN
3 Jul 1806 (div. 1816) Anne Wellesley (mar. (2) 23 Jul 1816 Lt Col Lord William Charles Augustus Cavendish-Bentinck (b. 1780; d. 28 Apr 1826), 3rd son of William Henry [Bentinck later Cavendish-Bentinck], 3rd Duke of Portland, by his wife Lady Dorothy Cavendish, only dau. of William [Cavendish], 4th Duke of Devonshire; d. 19 Mar 1875), illegitimate dau. of Richard [Wesley later Wellesley], 1st Marquess Wellesley, by his mistress (and later first wife) Hyacinthe Gabrielle Roland, dau. of Pierre Roland, of Paris, France
s.p.l. 16 Apr 1868
Lt, South Essex Militia 1798; 2nd Lt, Southwark Volunteers 1807; sold Chobham Place, co. Surrey 1809; Member of Parliament for Malmesbury 1817-18
On the death of the 7th Baronet the Baronetcy of Abdy of Felix Hall, Essex, became extinct.
Last updated 16 Aug 2007
ã Copyright: Heraldic Media Limited. All rights reserved.